Friday 28 October 2011

SO FAR....

SO FAR till Today (28th October 2011)


Sooooo!!! Its been 2 amazing weeks and every morning since, I have majestically…yes… majestically!!! strode into the bathroom to have a bath and co-wash  my hair (co-washing is the act ART of using only a conditioner to wash my hair). When I’m done with the "ritual", I stare into the mirror and admire the beautiful creation that I am... *sigh*... In these 2 weeks, I have already discovered that Nappy likes water A LOT, Tea tree Oil, Shea butter (not toooo much, but yeah), Olive oil and some placenta like that. J I also know that the hair at the back of my head is very coily (like these springs on push pens), in front it has looser curls and more stand-alone strands….in the middle it truly is an astonishing MIX of curly, coily and locked strands of hair. I TRULY am discovering myself… starting from the crown of my HEAD (will try n get down to the sole of my feet)!! J I also now know that some ingredients (e.g.  Sodium Laureth Sulfate) in shampoo aren’t very good for my hair (thanks to Ogor*) and so I have to consciously search for hair cleaners that don’t contain em…


However, a major “con” of this adventure with Nappy is that I may need “Intervention”..... {Hi, I'm Anu and I'm a 'PJ'...You: Hello Anu!!}....lol... (in “Napptural” world, that means I’m a "Product Junkie"). A only identify a Product Junkie by .. 1. The frequency of visits to the hair product section at the Super Mart (Mega Plaza) and… 2. Getting an email from your account officer asking if your ATM card was stolen!!! …*Sigh*… its bad L… *crying* …I have spent a GOOOOOOD amount of money buying hair products - Conditioners, conditioners, conditioners, conditioners, conditioners, shampoos, shampoos, hair custards, conditioners, hair oils, protein, conditioners...Yeah, I’m sure u get it... Nappy does get ALOT of conditioning (though am still yet to find a good leave-in conditioner)...… *sigh* … I know it’s a lot of cash but I just can’t help myself!!!... *insert‘can’t watch’ smiley*...


I actually “beef” Nappy sometimes cos she gets sooo much attention and pampering from me…*rolling eyes*… I’m sure other parts of my body are quite jealous but... "Not to worry “body parts”, I’m pampering all the way down to the sole of my feet!" *in Superman voice*..lol... I actually go online like every other day as soon as I get home to get new tips for Nappy-care….. he he… Ohhhh yeahhhh...forgot to gist y'all..lol...

Hmmmmmm...in the bid to "accessorize" Nappy o, na so I go buy some stretch hair bands ooo... lol... I wore them (used em to push my hair back thereby making my temple look bald...he he) on my first and second day at work after the Big Chop (grey and brown respectively) and after being called "Old Mama Youngie" by my boss, Ameze, who I fondly call "Oga mi" and Tobe my senior colleague (both of whom I'm really close to), I decided to try out an "unadulterated" Nappy...and... Lo and Behold!... A good chunk of my colleagues that wer all "No-No" before, actually preferred her without any extra, OMY (old mama youngie) hair band!!! Yayyy (not like it really mattered to me).... Awww... my natural 'ME' is actually 'FAB'BER!!... *wide grin*... *sigh*...


Now gazing into the bright side of things again, kindly be informed (lol), that with this bold step of mine (choosing to get to 'know' Nappy).....I can now shout from the roof tops that I am BEAUTIFUL, I am AFRICAN, I am CONFIDENT, I am BOLD, I am FREE, I am COMPLETE, I am COMFORTABLE WITH WHO I AM, I am NOT my HAIR and most importantly… I LOVE ME!!!... Just the way I was born, just the way God intended for me to look… No additional frills or strings attached….just plain ME. I honestly really can’t wait till my hair grows out and I can explore ALL the amazing, African (ethnic) hair styles for my natural, kinky hair ranging from Bantu Knots to Twist-outs (flat and braided) to Cornrows to…*sigh*...etc. The list is endless.



At this point am sure you can conclude that I LOVE my hair fiercely and deeply!!! That, and the freedom it brings. Granted, it’s only just hair actually, but the power of embracing the authenticity and true nature of my “glory” is JUST PURE BLISS!... be sure I'd keep you posted on the adventure…… Pictures of Me n Nappy below...



 Thats today actually!!


 My first day at work (thats d OMY band i was talking about)

 second day at work (last day with the band.. lol)

Sometime this week


 Sometime this week as well

*Ogor (Jobi Tutu) is a fabulous mentor in this Hair journey, constantly ready to listen to my rants and give really, really helpful advice*kiss kiss*




2 comments:

  1. Awwww :) I love you too :* :*
    And yes, we can tell you LOVE your hair :D

    ReplyDelete